Saturday, April 9, 2011

The First Day of the Rest of My Life - Day +1

A chemo day, too. Rituxin.... had it before, no big deal, except for the benedryl they INSIST on giving me. The result is that I slept through the first 6 innings of the Yankee game (Yanks beat the BoSox, BTW). Still got some golf left for the day.

My counts haven't started to plummet yet... it'll take a couple of days. They told me that I'll  feel the worst in about a week, then my counts should start to come up as Marie's stem cells start to generate good blood cells.

OK, another analogy: In 1985 I bought a couple of boxes of used auto parts and a car that somewhat resembled a TR4. I started to tear it apart, until I had it to bare bones. Then came the painstaking process of putting it back together. The body was completed after spending 18 months at my neighbor's garage getting hammered and a couple of new fenders, inner and outer sills, etc. In the meantime I spent virtually every evening taking all of the bits and pieces, including all the gauges and dash parts, under hood (sorry, bonnet, it is an English car, you know) and scraping and painting... strip to bare metal, epoxy etching primer, wet sand to 600, more primer, sanding, color coats, sanding, painting, sanding... UGH! What a process... a labor of anticipation, not love.

Finally it was time to drag it to Paul DesRosier's house for the paint job. Paul passed away a couple of years after this job, but I think of he and his family often. Paul taught Math at Manchester High, never smoked, and died of lung cancer. What a waste.

When I got to Paul's house on the first day, there was a sign in the front of the garage... "Keep sanding, Beat Bud"  We sanded and primed, sanded some more, sanded again.  After 7 weekends of this it (the body) was finished. Figure it out... small car, gallon of color paint, gallon of clear coat. When I  got it home, the REAL work started... putting it back together... starting with a new wiring harness and plugging the last bulb in place. It was done... It took five years.

Inspection, registration...  Sunday on the show field... First in Class, and just missed Best of Show (curse you Dave Bingham!!!).

I don't want a best of show... I am 64 y.o. I'll take a "place" in class... even "Honorable Mention" is OK.  I just want to come back next year for a rematch.

10 comments:

  1. Hey, you're First in Class to me! I'm sitting right here near you while you sleep...sweet dreams.
    We're glad we got to see Katie and Megan, Anthony and Lennie tonight though. Isn't technology amazing?!?!? I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing your old stories! Reminds me of listening to Grandma and Poppa Campoli....just don't start talking about the rubber shop! I hope some camping memories make it in! Although my camping memories are few because I was much younger than my MUCH older sister and cousin ;) And when you were putting your car together in '85, I was 3...just food for thought!! Hehehe ;)

    Love you!!
    Krissy
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. greaat writing Don. Aren't drugs great! Happy b-day plus one and keep on cruising!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make me smile!!
    You are not best in show... Just simplie the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey,
    I think you are wired OK (although some may argue this) just need new fluids and you will be like that beautiful TR4...... ready to hit the roads again!
    Love you,
    Udder Brudder(sister too.. never had one so cant be udder)

    ReplyDelete
  6. With talent like this and a whole world of people loving you & willing you well you have no here else to go but UP - stay strong, stay positive and keep the faith. Sending you love from MA. Jamie (RAIDER) Sullivan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing you all the best Mr. Sforza! You are in my thoughts And prayers! I remember clearly you being so excited about a car in your garage during my playdates with Becky! Very fond memories. Keep up this great fight! Jennifer Calvo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to all for the prayers and good wishes... and for the folks following, especially the ones from the "olden" days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Don,
    Sounds like you busted your ass on the "outside" of your TR4, now it's time to do the same on the "inside." Marie is supplying the Marvel Mystery Oil and your med team is providing the Bar's Leaks, Amalie, and is most likely tweeking your dual SU's. Sounds like a sewing machine to me...
    All the BEST and keep the blog going.
    JIM G.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed the story.......even though it sounded familiar....isn't this the car that you sold and barely eked out a profit? And the hammered part....was that you or the car or both?
    Just think, you may have the same chassis when this is all said and done, but your engine will be purring like Eli!
    Miss you. Let me know when I can Skype you......

    ReplyDelete