Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Day +19 Rigatoni and a Nap

Yea, some Rigatoni from Joseph's in West Palm and a nice Marinara. The nap thing is a John Pinette thing... he's a comedian.  But it works for me.

I was talking to one of the Posse today and she said she couldn't wait for me to get home to start cooking. Here's the story: Almost two years ago when I was first diagnosed, Ruth Ann and I spent the summer together going to chemo treatments and blood tests and Dr. Visits. But when school started we didn't have someone to drive me all around. Ruth Ann mentioned to Fr David, our pastor, about our dilemma. He relayed the story at the pulpit and immediately a neighbor, Gene Clark, stepped to the plate. And dragged in another three neighbor families.

That started the Posse thing. I got a computer program on line called COZI, that tracked all of my appointments and the neighbors were able to "sign up" for duty that day, whether it be a chemo treatment or just a blood test.

Ruth Ann and I tried to figure out how to thank them and the food thing started. I'm a fair cook and we started with Pizza from my oven. We did several... Margarita, pepperoni, peppers and onions and sausage and plain cheese. It was a tremendous hit! About a month later we did a 3-pasta dinner (the idea came from Becco Restaurant in NYC). We did a Rigatoni with meatballs and red sauce, Linguini with fresh pesto (my garden), and a 5-cheese Ravioli with a butter and sage sauce (The sage from my garden also). Then there was the Grilled Pizza with all the toppings, and then Chicken Marsala.

Just before I came to Tampa, I was bullied (by the Posse) to do the Grilled Pizza again and we did that the last weekend I was home. It's a blast to do it and cooking for 10 is no big problem. So Jackie and Gus want the Grilled Pizza again. I'm sure this is OK with Gene and Judy, Mike and Artha, and Lee and Larry.

I can't wait to do it!  Hey lastly: all counts are UP... just waiting for the neutrophils to take off to let us know that the graft has really happened. I'll make sure to post that one as soon as I know.

5 comments:

  1. So glad to hear all of the counts are up! I can vouch that you are much more than a fair cook, your grilled pizza's are legendary! Especially if you have enough cheese, LOL. We are looking forward to skypeing with you soon! It is great to hear how you are doing each day on the blog.
    Love and miss you,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. A "fair cook," such modesty -- LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do the Spinos, Pelletiers, and Pentas recognize the picture??? It was taken at the Flying Bridge in Falmouth...on one of our wonderful summer vacations on Cape Cod...oh, the memories! I can't wait to do that again and neither can Don.
    He's doing well. You should see him walk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very happy for all the good news! I never woulda thought you could cook a pizza on the grill until you told us about it - also like the photo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pizza really is awesome!
    -Lindsay

    ReplyDelete