Thursday, April 7, 2011

Day of Rest.... R I G H T ! !

When they said day-of-rest what they meant was no chemo... still getting the anti rejection drugs and some other conditioning things, too. Got a fresh bag will be hooking up soon. Tomorrow I get the stem cells... fresh not frozen.

We did have a little problem with the harvest, tho': One of Marie's insertion points kept clotting (too many platelets). They had to do one of the insertion points in her femoral artery. She called a little while ago and they are now counting the stem cells to see if they have enough. If they don't , she has to get hooked up again tomorrow. In the meantime, she's cooling her jets in another part of the hospital, needs something to eat, and may not even get back to the hotel tonight... they may just keep her here. Let's hope they feed her and send her back to her hotel so she can get a good night's sleep and go home on Saturday.

I've been doing OK, dealing with some increased numbness because of the heavy chemo the past few few days. Also walking is a problem... I've gone from a single point cane to a quad... walker next, I guess. I'm also nervous about the process tomorrow and how it will affect me... getting someone else's body part, even only blood products, is scary. Stem cells that you expect to do stuff, like kick the crap out of your cancer... big job for the little suckers, especially since the cancer had been so ensconced in my body for 8 years.

My sister has always driven the bus... I hope her stem cells can drive.

10 comments:

  1. Don,
    sorry to hear about the numbness etc. Can't imagine what you're goin thru but you'll make it.
    Don't worry about Marie's stem cells driving - They're NASCAR approved !!!!!

    love,
    don

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lot of people riding shotgun! We are all on the bus ready to push or pull or do whatever.
    Love ya man!
    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Uncle Don!

    Love hearing from you! Such an incredible journey and I admire your honest thoughts. I am sure Marie's cells will kick some major butt!! ;) Long road ahead, but the home stretch - lots of love and prayers your way!

    In the meantime, although it is very early on in baseball...I am loving the 0-6 start. Jason is very quiet ;)

    Love you!
    Buzzard Bait
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are one tough S.O.B, My Friend!!!

    But then I knew that...from the old days when you used to break up fights at Christmas parties. :)

    Me and Joe Viz send our love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This should prove once and for all, women drivers are #1!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Don, Please notice that my husband is posting under my name and I am not responsible for what he writes. I am also feeling quiet with Jason but we will see what tomorrow brings - it is a long season. I have a little bit of some good person in my cervical spine - can only make me a better person and you are getting cells from the best. Love, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hiya Don!

    Don't be scared! Let us poor schleps who don't have anything else to do be scared for you! You just fight like hell and have faith that Marie's stem cell's are excellent drivers!

    But in all seriousness, I can't imagine what you're going through, but please know that there are a lot of us praying along with you. Dave and I are sending our best wishes and I'll be thinking about you ALL day tomorrow! Finally, the day you've been waiting for for so long is HERE! Hasta la vista, cancer!

    Much love,
    Mari and Dave

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Don, you will be fine...all this on Becky's birthday...that has to be a good omen! I love you...me xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Uncle Don,
    Don't be nervous about tomorrow. It is Becky's Birthday, therefore, good things happen for you on April 8th. You are constantly in our thoughts and prayers and that goes double for tomorrow! So glad you are doing this blog, it is great to hear from you so often!
    Love you,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning, Don. It's finally here, D-Day (Don Day)! You are in the hearts and prayers of so many people, this just has to be your time to finally beat that horrible disease! Your struggle to get to this point says a lot about your stamina and your character. Today being Becky's birthday should be a good omen, too. Stay strong, my friend.

    Much love - Eileen

    ReplyDelete