Friday, April 29, 2011

Day +21 Oooh that hurts

When I left you, we had plans on doing some cooking. Well, by the close of cooking today, we had the chicken soup done (just have to add the noodles or pastina or orzo). The meatballs and sauce are done, and the fazooles have been cooked (they only need the ditalini to be added, or elbows). We found that if you put the pasta in and then freeze the portions, the pasta gets soggy and soaks up all the jucies. Tomorrow, I have the job of washing the escarole for the escarole and beans. By then the freezer will be full of GOOD stuff.

My stomach is still rolling…UGH! Had a little “D” yesterday… you know that lower GI tract thing that you have to stay close to a bathroom for. Told the doc this morning. She said we’ll watch it. Well, I watched it ALL AFTERNOON! I lost count of the times. We finally had to call the Bone Marrow Transplant Clinic (That’s one of the things that they “watch”). Of course they said…”you’ll be in tomorrow and we’ll do a culture”.

There is a good side to this if you can figure out how! This lower GI thingee is an indication of GVHD… Graft vs. Host Disease. A little bit is a good thing, and this also indicates the stem cells are working. As to the good thing, this helps the docs to monitor the graft and how well it’s working. I think that’s how she related it me.  But, it’s a good thing and my backside HURTS!

Let’s hope it helps the neutaphil counts, because it’s still down, while the other counts are incrementally up again. We asked the doc this AM if she was concerned and she said no. So I have to go with that and see how the next week flushes out.

In the meantime, ya’all have a great weekend. Have a drink for me. 

5 comments:

  1. Oh, Don, I am sympatico with your situation this morning, moreso than usual. I've been plagued with this for years, and the gastro doc can't seem to find out why. My only suggestion is to keep the Vaseline handy! Something that would help with the pain is blackberry brandy, but I know that's not on your radar yet. Hugs and kisses to you and the lovely Ruth Ann!

    Love, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don,
    love reading your updates! Glad that medically things are ok, and getting BETTER...
    glad that your dorm is beginning to look and feel like home. you know what they say...home is where the heart is...and your heart(s) are your girls.
    Love and feel good
    Lois and Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know from italian penicillin , but if you throw some matzo balls into that chicken soup, that should fix you up. That's what my mother taught me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear the counts are up. This talk of food is a good sign of getting better. Grilled pizza? Now I will have to make that trip to Florida for a slice, I’ll bring the wine :-)....keep sending well new. Hey!! Worked a new one on 12 meters VU4 Andaman Island (CW) 73 Lou

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don,
    You are making me hungry again! Glad to see that the numbers are up. Just need to get those other ones going.
    Love you,
    Udder Brudder

    ReplyDelete