Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Day +18 Almost 20% Done

Some more good news today... whites, Hemoglobin and platelets all up a bit. Heck the platelets are almost at normal. We’re waiting for the neutrophil count to take off. That would mean that the graft has taken place. Could be any day... let's hope its tomorrow. At that point, my body will be able to fight off infection and I'll get off the ton of antibiotics I'm on now... including the intravenous ones. They make me feel real tired. I spend the entire time of the infusions (today 3 hours) sleeping. Not really a bad thing… but I’d like to use that time to do some reading… something productive.

Ruth Ann is coming out tomorrow and Becky is going back to work on Thursday and Friday. Not that she hasn’t worked here… she’s got her computer and phone… what more does she need. She was on a conference call with her team for an hour earlier today. And worked, while I slept, in the patient waiting lounge. Interesting thing… she can knit while she talks on the phone. WITHOUT LOOKING! I hate multitaskers.

We’re just hanging out... kidna like the old days when she was much younger… and so was I. She and Ruth Ann are real task masters… making sure I do this and do that… all jobs of the caregiver. They had to go to a class for a couple of hours at the hospital to learn about what, and what not to do, foods I can eat, yadda, yadda. Anyone who becomes my caregiver has to go through the class. Some things are obvious, but things that we have to watch out for, like garnish on the plate at a restaurant, or something like the onions on a regular burger at McDonald’s. We don’t know what process they used to wash the onions, so we just avoid them. Chances of ordering and not getting the onions are slim, so we don’t go to Mickey D’s.

Now I’m hungry and time for a snack

2 comments:

  1. Sounds as if Becky was productive enough for both of you!! You just rest and let those blood cells multiply! And stick to home cookin' - don't need to be worrying about secret sauce and such!! Hope the IV's can be out soon. Love and prayers for you and Ruth Ann.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand the antibiotic thing!. For the first few hours after I take the first dose of the 3000mg I need daily to fight this H.Pylori bacteria imbedded in my stomach, all I do is lie in a fetal position with no thoughts at all passing through my mind. A true vegetative state! No highs no lows just a vegetable!

    ReplyDelete