Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Day Plus 11 - Much Anticipation

Getting closer every minute. Doc came in this AM and reaffirmed that sometime over the weekend, Monday the latest, I get into a regular situation and off the unit. Been meeting with the social worker and the transition person to decide the kind of accommodations we would want. And the winner is: an apartment. Fortunately there is availability. We had thought briefly of a Marriott Residence Inn, but it wouldn't work out.


I've been developing a sore throat... we knew this was going to happen. It really hurts to swallow. So a little oxycodone to help with the hurt. Also had to get a unit of whole blood today, because my Hemoglobin count had dropped below the critical point. My counts are still dropping, so I'll feel worse before I get feeling better. This is NOT as bad as the regimen I went through in '03. I felt good then for about 3-4 weeks, then the boom dropped... everything hurt, bones muscles, everything. I had places hurting that I didn't even know I had!!!


So I was sitting here today, thinking about all the good friends I (we) have and how we came to befriend them. My earliest friends were Larry and Nicky... they lived across the street. Then Frank and Bobby up the street. Bobby.... oh boy. His name brought shudders to Mom and Dad. They thought he was the anti-Christ, but he was a terrific friend, especially through high school. And he wasn't nearly as mischievous as everybody thought, just one step ahead of the world. The only time he really got into trouble was the New Year’s Eve we were hanging out at his Cousin Richard's house. Richard's parents and Bobby's folks were out on the town. Bobby had gotten his license a couple of months earlier, but his father didn't want him driving at night. There was a car in the garage, with gas, and a set of available keys. And like any teenage boys, it wasn't long before we were dashing about the town. You know this can't end without trouble. We were heading down Scott Rd, on hard packed snow... the city didn't use salt or sand back then... and as we skidded around a corner, another car was coming up the hill. Bobby got his license back about six months later; there was PLENTY of overreaction at the Sforza's.  Thank God nobody got hurt. Bobby... what a guy.

5 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how when you have time to think, thoughts sometimes go back to when things were simpler and infinitely more fun! Glad you are still doing reasonably well. Keep the faith.
    Walter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad things are still doing well..and you are still hanging strong. I think we all know a Bobby!!!!!. Sitting and thinking recalls many events and we all know those were the days. Be well and we'll talk again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! You are really digging deep! Oh the memories from "down the hill"!! Do you know where those guys are now? Marie and I would panic when you guys would take the cars while our parents were out, especially KV78. But all's well that ends well - just like this journey that you are on. Good ending coming right up! Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gee, Don, the news just keeps getting better! You are one tough cookie, my friend. Having a bit more latitude out of the hospital setting will be so good for you, too. There certainly is a grand correlation in your progress - the "new birthday" on Becky's birthday, and being let out of the hospital at Easter time. We'll see you this weekend!
    Love, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see you! Boy I remember the first accident I was in with a friend. Interrogation by the parents, though I was a criminal, I was just thrilled to be alive!

    ReplyDelete