Sunday, April 17, 2011

Day +8, Some REALLY GOOD NEWS

Yes, boys and girls, some good, good news. According to the Transition person, the team is looking to cut me loose by the end of the week. From here I'll move to an apartment. Ruth Ann and I talked about Hope Lodge run by the American Cancer Society, but Hope Lodge sounds more like Stalag 13. First of all, the curfew is 9:00PM. I don't plan on being out much after 9 most nights, but If I have a late treatment that goes beyond 9, I have no way of getting back in!!! We sleep in the car!!! Plus, the only refreshment you can have in your room is plain water... no soda, no chips, no leftover pizza... NOTHING. Then the "living room" in each of the units is small with no table to set up a computer, let alone RA's sewing machine. Sure , It's free, but I'll take Manhattan.

The apartments are pretty nice... even the one bedroom. Twin beds HUGE bathroom nice kitchen with all the dishes, pots, pans, glasses, flatware and small appliances. I could be there up to 3 months... we'll be makin' spaghetti aglio olio in nothing flat. RA will have to chop the garlic... they don't want me near sharp objects!

Quick comment on the picture with Dick Vitale: we were in Siesta Key at the "Broken Egg" 2 days after my recent diagnoses... July 4th 2009... I was with Ruth Ann and Bob Lombardo. Bob had come up from Bonita Springs to spend the weekend with us. Dick was holding an autograph session... all the profits go to cancer research. Bob thought I needed a book and Dick put an inscription in it for me... covered the Huskies, cancer and the V foundation. I'll never forget Jim Valvano as he was dying of bone cancer: "Don't give up, don't ever give up". As I went through treatment in '03, I thought of Jim and his words. They gave me the strength to get through it once... hoping it works again.

Ruth Ann left about 5:15... she's home now. I wanted to get her home before it got dark. See ya'll tomorrow.

Don

7 comments:

  1. What GREAT news Don!!! I'm soooo happy for you! Keep up the fight, you have so much to look forward to. Your friend is right, DON'T EVER GIVE UP! You have too much going for you!
    Love to you and Ruth Ann,
    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you don't like that place call Charlie Sheen. I hear he has a few rooms available at the Sober Valley Lodge. He also has a pretty good success rate for cures. Great news

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great news. Always feel better when you are out of the hospital and you can hang around in your jammies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Der Don:

    The apartment sounds like a good idea. How do they expect a paisan to get better if he can't have homemade pasta, sauce garlic? I think the a Floridian's idea of ethnic Italian is Chef Boyardee!!

    Hang in big guy.

    Kert

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy to hear the great news! Sending good vibes your way, Don!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forget freebee Stalag 13 - you so deserve the Taj Mahal!!! This is all great news! Allison said she enjoyed the chance to Skype with you. Never give up! You can beat this! Love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds great! I read your blog whenever you post, you are quite the writer. Keep up the great work, I look forward to many more. Perhaps after you feel better we should arite something we can get PUBLISHED!

    ReplyDelete