Monday, May 30, 2011

Day +52 "On a Day Like Today, We'll Pass the Time away..."

Ahhhh, Memorial Day... I can smell the food now... Eggplant Parmigiano, Sausage and Broccoli Rabe, Baked Chicken and Potatoes, Stuffed Grape Leaves, Kibbi (cooked and raw)... yes, our picnics were different. We had some of the traditional stuff, like potato salad, too. But our Italian heritage (and my Lebanese Uncle!!) pretty much dictated the food we ate. Of course, that was the noon meal. Then there was the traditional whiffle ball game that lasted all afternoon while the Mothers gabbed, the Fathers watched a baseball game and between innings came outside to umpire the whiffle ball game. They had to... almost every play was contested. The evening meal was the hot dogs and hamburgers... and sausage patties!!! Ruth Ann's Uncle Jimmy used to get these wonderful lamb sausages. Now THAT was treat.

These picnics took place at Uncle Tom and Auntie Ann's house. They had the room for it. Ultimately, my Grandmother had 28 grandchildren... that's 26 first cousins, just on my Mother's side! They were a load of fun and we all looked forward to them... Memorial Day, the 4th and Labor Day. My cousin Joe T. later on when we were having the "Cousin's Picnic", indicated that a D'Angelo (my Grandmother's name) gathering wasn't complete unless one of the Ciochetti kids got a wallop and Auntie Clare administered it! These "Cousin's Picnics" were great time but as our families grew and spread out, the interest waned. Ruth Ann and I were spending a lot of time at Cape Cod... especially the summer holidays, and the other cousins were doing much the same.

Ruth Ann and I will be spending a quiet Memorial Day here in Tampa. I had a PA appointment this morning at 8:00 AM... everything is looking good on the blood work. White blood cells are progressing nicely as are the hemoglobin and platelets. Neutrophils are at 2800 (Yea!) Only changes in meds for now are a decrease in the Prograf (the anti-rejection stuff) and a decrease in the magnesium. The big "D" is on hold for now, too.

I'm just getting a little bored. All I can do is read, watch TV, and play on the computer. We get out shopping a little when we need stuff, but we're trying to stay away from crowds, and I have to wear this silly looking duckbill mask. Not only is it SHAPED like a duck's bill, but it's YELLOW, to boot! Kind of like the Scarlet Letter, only yellow. Most of the transplant patients have to wear them, so if you see one, it's a brother (or sister) in arms.

I did two laps last night and hope to do another two this evening.  I'll do my upper and lower body exercises as well. Got to get stronger... we're on the downside of the odyssey. Can't wait to get home... I miss being around my stuff. And I'm sure my caregivers are starting to get a mite tired of the drive to Tampa, too... and hanging around with me!!!

Enjoy your Memorial Day... drink some beer for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment