Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Day +41 Come on a Surfari With Me

The past two days have been very quiet again. I’ve had no appointments for labs or anything since Monday. We did meet with the Doc on Monday and she told us that she was very pleased with my progress. I asked her if I could go home, “NO” came the very quick reply. I feel good too, except for the occasional “D” (which we can manage). It was a very upbeat meeting, as all have been lately, and I guess that’s most of the reason that I have felt good leaving them.

For Friday AM we have scheduled the removal of my Hickman central line. I will NOT miss it by any stretch of the imagination. It has to be kept dry… yea, right. I tried the shower shields that we get from the pharmacy at the hospital… they leak and the adhesive is awful and did a job on my skin. An alternative is Glad Press ’n Seal… better on the skin but leaks like a sieve. So every morning I get out of the shower with the hope that it stayed dry… nope, wet again. Good thing they change the dressing once a week. Otherwise it would be a tattered mess by now.

In my last post, I mentioned the problem with my balance when I close my eyes. My friend of 47 years, Ernie from Danbury reminded me of some of those nights at UCONN when we closed our eyes and the world started spinning. He said that when his daughter was at UCONN she had the same problem at times… must be in the air… all that cow manure from the Aggie College.  I’ve heard many other stories of that malady at other colleges and universities… even the ones in big cities. I mean, heck, if you’re at Columbia, where do you find a cow in Manhattan or Harlem?

Ernie also mentioned that pretty soon three ¼ mile laps will equal a mile!!! He was making reference to an experience at Ft Gordon, GA. We at Signal Officer Basic back in 1968 and we had to go through a PT test. For the most part it was easy… throw a grenade???, run dodge and jump, etc. But we had to do a 1 mile run. We were really dogging it… me, Ernie, Larry, Bobby (different Bobby from before) and a couple of other guys. Some of the guys were really taking it seriously and we got lapped. Well, the gung-ho guys crossed the finish line about a ½ lap ahead of our 3rd lap, so when we crossed the finish line we just told the Sargent that we were done… so three ¼ mile laps equaled a mile. We finished with some respectable times, too.   

One last thing: some have indicated that they haven't gotten an email with the link for my last post. Don't know where the problem lies... Outlook seems to be working OK on this end... maybe an ISP problem. Anyway, if you haven't gotten a post from me in a while, just go to the blog site (http://don-thelongestjourney.blogspot.com/) and you'll see it there... and all of the others you may have missed.

1 comment:

  1. in my couple years at uconn, i had the same problem. kept ending up in the pond!

    ReplyDelete