Sunday, May 15, 2011

Day +38 Life is but a Dream, Sha Boom

Quiet weekend for the most part… no appointments yesterday, just some (actually a LOT) of blood work today. They did a Prograf level test and I got a call from the team around 1 PM telling me to increase the level a smidge.  Prograf is an anti-rejection drug, necessary to prevent MY body from rejecting my SISTER’S stem cells. There are also some really nasty things that could happen, if that is allowed to happen. Oh, the sordid details!

Jackie and Gus, of Posse fame, came to spend a couple of hours here yesterday. I haven’t laughed as much as I did in a long, long time. They also brought some goodies… a really special chicken salad that Jackie makes, and a coconut cream pie, a piece of which I’m working on right now. Gus brought some interesting and laughable stories of IRS audits of years past. As an accountant for many years, you can imagine the stories. We laughed until our sides ached!

Passed another recovery milestone starting Friday evening… I’ve already told about having Ruth Ann carry my walker 2/3 of the way around the track. Well, both Saturday evening and this evening, I carried my cane ALL THE WAY AROUND. I feel like my legs are getting stronger and my feet aren’t as numb as they’ve been. I’m also much steadier on my feet, but if I close my eyes not so steady. I still need some visual reference to tell my muscles what to do. Overall, I’m pleased and we’ll try to stretch out that 1-lap to 2, then three. No telling where I might be in July!

5 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work. Sending along good thoughts, strength, humor & love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say we do a 5K when I get back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You waited a long time for good news and now it gets betterer and betterer!!!
    SUPER

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't feel bad about not being so steady with your eyes closed. DO feel bad about walking around with your eyes closed. Don't do that! You could walk into a tree or a bus. Then you'd have a flat nose. Then you might not be able to smell the delicious aroma from the fantastic Italian food you cook for your posse. But, I digress...
    Remember, eyes OPEN!
    JIM G

    ReplyDelete
  5. So super duper. That is great!

    ReplyDelete