Saturday, May 7, 2011

Day +29 "Getting Better All the Time"

No new news today. They haven't taken blood since Thursday, but we're scheduled for tomorrow, with an infusion. I do feel OK... bodily functions are normal, and I'm eating lotsa good stuff.  Bob made Steak Pizzaiola tonight and it turned out really, really good... excellent, in fact. We had it with a side of Rigatoni.

Later, we took a walk out to the dumpster... a short walk, but we took a walk around the "loop" earlier today. Then we went for a ride in Bob's convertible. Funny, my walker doesn't fit in the car with the top down... it’s one of those convertibles with a hard top that folds into the trunk. When it’s down, there's no room for anything larger than a lunch box. So when we got back I actually walked back to the apt without the help of any external devices. Hey, I didn't fall...  that's progress! I was a little unsteady, but I was able to navigate the short jaunt and correct my unsteadiness myself. We'll do a little bit more as the weeks pile up. I want to be walking by myself before I leave here. 

Bob leaves here tomorrow and Ruth Ann will relieve him. It’s been a great time, rehashing old times, and sharing times we didn’t share… Bob’s time in the Navy, his growing up in downtown Hartford and Wethersfield; My Army time and growing up in Waterbury. What wonderful stories we shared. We share a special bond, Bob and I, and he calls me his “Udder Brudder”, to distinguish me from his real brothers! And he’s a great cook!!!

3 comments:

  1. Keep up the great work Uncle Don! Pretty soon you will be running!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOOO HOOO! Can't wait til your back in town, maybe I can bring my calm dog over whenever your allowed to be around other animals :)
    --Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the blood work Sunday was good. Keep on walking! Love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete