Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Day +60 "I Wished on a Moon"

So how stupid is this: Becky and I went out for a walk last night and I said I wanted to go a little farther than the night before. So we did the normal two and continued to the place where I got turned around the night before. I told Becky I wanted to go to the trash can up ahead. Becky, the runner, said ”Dad, that’s the halfway point, or really close.” I didn’t think so, and we turned around at the trash can and went back to the apartment. When Becky did the calculation, we found out I had done 1.19 Miles, or a smidge less than three laps (1.23 Miles)! What a dope! Next time I’ll listen to Becky.

Another thing that happened in the past few days is that I got a couple of interesting comments on the beach excursion episode. Bob, from Bonita Springs, commented that his extended family did the same thing, except on Monday’s. His Dad, his Dad’s friends, and just about all the barbers and tailors in Hartford had Mondays off (remember that!!). So they all went to Hamonassette on Mondays. Same array of food. Angela, late of Waterbury said her family did the same thing as up, but relayed that they had to leave for home at 3:30… bummer. BUT, they always stopped at a farm along the way and picked up some sweet corn. She did say that corn was the best. It’s sweet corn time in Florida now (and another harvest in November). Picked some up… can’t wait. Did I mention that growing up, Angela had the best collection of CURRENT 45’s of anyone I knew, except for maybe the family that lived next door on Granby Street. Rose, do you remember that!

The next comment I got was from Nancy in Old Saybrook. Nancy and I went to high school in Waterbury, way back when. She also being Italian had almost the same story, except she accused me of hogging the tables at the grove. Different grove… I knew Nancy then. One difference, her family would ALL go in the morning and had breakfast there with jelly donuts and fresh hard rolls with butter, the bread and pastries coming from either Ed’s Bakery or Stanley’s Bakery on Walnut Street. Oh, how I remember those bakeries. They cooked the macaroni at the grove… did the beach and (her comment) “after serious crisping and Noxzema” settled in for the nighttime barbeque.

Two cousins also piped in… Pinky, who lived next door, said she loved to come on those Sunday excursions. Leonora relayed much the same story as Nancy and me, except mentioned the Southington Rec… a place I had forgotten about until she mentioned it… and I lived in Southington to 22 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment