Sunday, October 16, 2011

Day + 192 UGH!

Boy, I thought I would be home and in and amongst my stuff by now… it’s two weeks tomorrow that I’ve been here at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa. It’s a crunch with Ruth Ann working and Becky and Sean, too. Ruth Ann came on Friday and left today. The bed here is really not very comfortable and the facilities are limited. She had to get home to get stuff done for the shower next Sunday (I just hope I can make it!!). And there are still some wedding details to attend to (small surprise).

I’m being fed a combination of a cocktail of all kinds of stuff (including proteins and lipids and all kinds of vitamins and minerals and DRUGS, supplemented with what I can eat (low sodium, lactose free, immune suppressed… do the math). Getting everything under control has been a challenge for the Doc’s here and we’re hoping to get this under control soon.

I guess I should have expected that not all was going to be as hunky-dory as I wanted. I was in a good place: I was exercising, walking, making myself useful as a house-husband, including cooking. I had even started to drive short jaunts to local places… feeling my oats again, so to speak. So, I’m in a 1 month (so far) setback that really grates on me. Those of you that know me, know that I’m a type “A”, and this is killing me. Not being in the woodshop is one thing, but being saddled with this is awful.

Dr. T. was brutally honest with me when we went through this and she described some very nasty stuff (including death) that could happen with GVHD. For that I thank her… this is far less that the other solution and maybe I should buck up and hope they find a remedy… but SOON!

Keep the prayers coming… I know they work.

Caio,
il Duca

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there, Daddy! I love you so much! You will be celebrating with us next week! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Uncle Don,
    We are all thinking of you and praying hard. Hoping you get home really soon. We are looking forward to seeing you soon. Hang in there. We love you!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete