Friday, July 29, 2011

Yo Ho, Yo Ho, a Pirate's Life for me!

Can’t believe it’s been a week since I contributed, but it is. It’s been a busy week starting with a trip to Tampa on Monday morning. We got there about 9:30 for check-in and blood-work and got in to see the Doc about 11:30. She’s really pleased with my progress so far and dropped the dosage of the anti-rejection drug another half milligram. We’re looking to stir some trouble and get the new stem cells working on the cancer hot spots that still remain. Other than that, the blood work was OK and finally got out of the hospital at 12:30. We were supposed to meet our good friends, George and Harriett for lunch, but George took sick in the morning and they canceled out.

I’m at Day +112 right now, almost three weeks out of “jail” out there in Tampa. The next goal is Day +180… six months out from transplant. It’s at that point that we may be able to entertain a sip or two of vino and perhaps get back to a regular diet. Until then I’ll continue to exercise, hope the neuropathy improves, and pray the hot spots are gone when the next scan results are in.

We had dinner on Monday night with Howard and Gladys B. Howard is the president of the local Alfa Romeo club and Gladys is in charge of the social goings on of the club. We had a great evening, telling stories about cars and car shows. The highlight of the evening was Howard showing me his ’86 Spider and his GTV6 Balocco, both impeccably kept. I still pine for my ’58 Spider Veloce…

Another landmark occurred on Wednesday… I got to eat in a real restaurant for the first time since the transplant. We went to the Cheesecake Factory with the Summer Lakes posse. I ordered water with no ice and it came with a lemon wedge… that had to go back. Then my buffalo chicken sandwich came with lettuce and tomato on the side, which Ruth Ann quickly whisked away. I had told the waiter (all the while wearing my attractive duck-bill mask) I did not want anything else on the plate. How they listen, huh?

Reminded me of the day we went to Wellesley to see Becky and she wanted to go for Italian food at the “Great” Italian restaurant in town. I ordered a calzone and the silly thing was served on a lettuce leaf! Not only did they disgrace the calzone… it was awful… but they added insult to injury with the lettuce. That’s that last time I’ll order Italian in a yuppified restaurant. Another great restaurant miscue was back in ’04 when Bob L., Larry R. and Gary D. went to the Alfa convention in Manchester, NH. We were given directions to the “Best Italian Restaurant in the World”… UGH… we gotta stop taking the lead from anyone that far away from “civilization”… hey, Lee and Larry H., no offense intended, your Italian cooking is way up there!

So last night the Miller’s came for dinner (I told you it was a busy week), and I embarrassed myself by serving them the same meal that we had LAST YEAR when they came to Florida. Am I losin’ it or what?

Today is a “Free Day” for me. Ruth Ann went to the Magic Kingdom with Maureen and Megan Miller. She needed a fix of “Pixie Dust”. And, quite honestly, I think she needed a day away from me! In either case, I don’t do the Magic Kingdom for a couple of reasons: 1) Too many kids. 2) No alcohol is sold there. 3) Too many kids.  4)  Double wide strollers. 5) Ears. 6) Screaming kids. 7) Screaming adults. 8) Parents who don’t watch their kids. 9) Kids who don’t watch their parents and 10) the number on reason I don’t do the Magic Kingdom… Too many kids.

Unfortunately, there are two restaurants there that I like… Casey’s on Main Street, where they serve the greatest Hot Dogs this side of Frankie’s or Blackie’s, and Columbia Harbour House, where they serve the absolute best tuna salad sandwich… you gotta try it to believe it! We try for a quick entrance and exit, however one time while in a wheel chair, I allowed Ruth Ann to push me all over the MK… Hey, she offered!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Lordy....you sound an awful lot like Joe Viz. Not sure whether it is the calzone with "garni" (aka lettuce) aversion....or the "too many freaking kids" aversion. LOL!!!!!

    ReplyDelete