Friday, July 1, 2011

Day +82 “Nine and a Wakeup” “ I see those harbor lights!”


As you may imagine, I am really getting excited. Just to get home and to be around my stuff, and my neighbors, and to sleep in my own bed; to hang out on the lanai (in the shade with SPF 30, Doc). I’m just hoping that the scans and other tests go OK next week.

We have had some really heavy rain in the past two days so walking has been dicey. I had PT yesterday, so I didn’t feel too bad about not being able to walk. The skies finally started to clear tonight and we went out with a very slight drizzle and by the time we did one lap it had stopped. Ruth Ann set the pace and I had to really strain to keep up… she never strolls… always the press. Two laps and I was done!

We did have a great meal tonight, too. I did a risotto with seared scallops. Tony said my risotto with scallops was as good as Bin 300… Ruth Ann agrees. I get to do it at least one more time before we leave, when Bob is here next week. I hope Richie isn’t reading this… we might have to have a risotto-off. He does finish his with truffle oil… I need to get some of that.

I told you I had some “Tony Fodder”. He is so easy; this is going to be fun:

If you know Tony, you know that he tends to be a “little” anal. For instance, when he was still working, he took a sandwich to work every day. But, he would go to Stop and Shop and tell the deli person that he wanted exactly 10 slices of ham and 5 slices of cheese… God forbid, there was anything left over at the end of the week! One time, the deli person said: “You must make very precise sandwiches”. Now that he’s retired, he refuses to eat a sandwich, preferring instead to eat some deli stuff on a plate with crackers! Oh, that’s another thing… when he eats soup; he butters EXACTLY 10 Saltine crackers to eat with his soup… not 9, not 11.  What a character… but I love him. Even when he stiffs the waitress at Westfield Airport!

Ruth Ann and I had a wonderful visit with a cousin of mine today…Joan Marie. She and he family are staying at the Caribbean Beach hotel at Disney. She left her family early this morning and came here.  We spent several hours catching up , talking about our relatives, her job, etc. She’s a great gal, and I welcomed the visit. What stories she told about Auntie Mary (my father’s older sister). She lived with Joan Marie and John until she passed away a couple of years ago. Stories about her lady friends and bringing her around to visit her friends… again, what stories!

3 comments:

  1. I bet you Eli and Cally are going to be very clingy when you get home...ok maybe not Cally, she might just watch you from the ground. But Eli, may be in your lap constantly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting so close!!!! Praying for good results next week! Oh please, the deli meat, how about the few times I made myself a sandwich or snuck a piece of cheese and HAD TO GO BACK TO THE STORE! ;) or the time he thought the bagger at Shaw's, stole his counted dell meat...or was it a watermelon?!? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm well aware of the strict 10 ham slice rule. When Kris and I were dating, I'd be over there and would poke around in the fridge for a snack, only to find out that the ham was off limits or else he wouldn't have his two slices per day for his sandwich. And it was always "imported" ham, none of that domestic crap.

    ReplyDelete